Monday, March 2, 2015

Don't eat the Sea Horse!!!!

Ok, so I saw an advertisement for Red Lobster, yummy right?! That lead me to google lobsters... then lead me to pics of crabs... and that lead me to a picture of the monster Coconut Crab. Then I wondered if people eat them, and yes in fact they do. The meat is considered a delicacy and an aphrodisiac, with a taste similar to lobster and crab meat. The best parts I guess, is the eggs from the females and the fat in the abdomen. Some popular recipes for them is by cooking them in coconut milk. And like other animals, depending on their diet, their meat can be poisonous. yikes! Which is why unless I'm living by myself in the woods, I will never catch and eat my own food. Thank you grocery stores!
seahorse
Next I decided to search for exotic things people eat and was sad when I saw a Sea Horse on the list. I didn't know they were endangered and Asian people eat them. They’re protected in China, and only legal when farmed, not when caught in the wild. Ive seen two different articles so I don't know which one holds more weight. One said they have a sweet taste and they cook them in oil and its served with mustard. And the other said they make for a terrible nasty meal, the little sharp bits get caught in the teeth, the gums, and there’s a nauseating salt taste to it.
But in China they’re as popular as ginseng.  And just like ginseng, they’re used to enhance a man’s virility.  They also reinforce the kidneys... Interesting.