Friday, August 1, 2014

Thank You... simple right?

Is it common courtesy to say "Thank you" if someone does something nice for you or is it something that you need to be taught from a young age. My family was always very quick to say their pleases and thank yous. But I'd like to think that I learned to do it not only from them, but because it was the right thing to do. The polite thing to do and it showed that you had manners for cripes sake. Well I'm not the poster child for manners per se but aside from my rather TMI nature of some content I choose to speak about and share, as far as being polite, I know for a friggen fact that I do that just fine.
Many people do wonderful things for me and I never miss the opportunity to tell them "Thank you". I do take notice when I do something, or I see other people do nice things for someone, and they never so much as say Thank you. Nothing was even acknowledged that a kind gesture was just made towards them.  I don't care how small it was, the fact that someone did something nice, deserves a Thank You, don't you think?

Oh Skully, you're just being overly sensitive about this... Big deal someone didn't say Thank You after you made them dinner, held the door open, watched their kid, fixed their broken window, bought them their favorite ice cream... I know I know, I need to get over it. It might not have been something they felt was worth a Thank You. I don't fish for acknowledgements when I do something nice, I'm just saying that the more and more you do something nice for people and the fact that you see it wasn't given so much as an appreciative thought, makes you not want to try to do nice things for them anymore. Makes you feel like they didn't care about what you did... they didn't like it so it didn't deserve a Thank you no matter how much effort they know you put into it.