Monday, March 14, 2016

Women Role Models

You see it every day, Women in entertainment media getting bashed for the shocking things they do but the more you talk about it, the more they win. The more they stay in the public eye. More power to them.The sheep that the general population is, falls right into their web. You don't even think about it, but even the negative opinions and comments are fueling their fire. They stay relevant = they win. It's that simple. How easy would it be to see people fall out of the lime light if people simply didn't talk about them, didn't care what they did, what they say, or the things that they post.
I get sad when I see certain celebrities that no matter how much people bash, there are still people that look up to them, try to emulate them and consider them legitimate role models. They're popular, beautiful and rich. International Women's Day brought on a naked tweet from a certain celebrity with the caption "when you have nothing to wear" or something to that effect. Which was hilarious to me because this chick indeed does have clothes to wear. Yes she has an amazing body that she just wanted to show off and she's beautiful, but I got confused because all the people saying negative things are probably part of the several million followers on her Twitter account. I don't Twitter at all so I'm not exactly sure how it works, but don't you see people's tweets if you follow them? And it's still probably a contest to see how much followers you have. More followers = better celebrity status?
I only know of this tweet because I caught up on my TV Talk shows on Hulu this weekend and all the monologues were talking about it.
So then this got me thinking of someone currently I think is a superb role model to young girls, all women actually.
Cara Santa Maria. The following link is her official Website:

Cara Santa Maria Official Website

She is as Beautiful as she is Brilliant, she's nerdy, she's silly, she's adorable. Just comes off a genuinely down to earth person. Isn't in the media for negative shock value, but simply to spread the knowledge of science, learning and how being a nerd fricken rules.
Her Website has a link to her podcast, Talk Nerdy, a must watch. Watching it also introduced me to other brilliant women in the science world today.
She does have several thousand twitter followers, but it should be in the millions in my opinion. If pointless celebrities have millions, brilliant celebrities should have just as much. But that just goes to show you how society thinks. Popularity, shock, drama, and to be honest celebrities that would post nudes rather then something intelligent has more of an influence on this world over the ones that use their minds, science and knowledge to make the world better.

As much as I will say schooling was not for me it wasn't until after high school in my mid 20s that I had the aspirations to learn more. Intentions to go back to school to study Biology fell to the wayside as life went on. Finding the money and having the motivation to balance working and going to school and doing research on how to get a student loan went out the window. Hearing horror stories from people saying that student loans haunt you for a long time scared the shit out of me.
Herpetology, a field of Zoology, was my interest. The study of reptiles and my fascination with snakes Pythons to be exact sparked my interest. Gosh darn it... I'm getting sad when I think about it now. So this is the importance of these role models for young girls... Influence the young generation to learn in their youth and aspire to do so much and continue your education while you're young, and for parents to stress the importance of furthering their education.
Smart = Sexy.


I saw this and agreed :-)