Thursday, June 15, 2023

Maps

Maps... any type of maps are extremely cool to me. From world maps to dumb shit like floor plans of houses lol... I love them all!
When I had my own apartment I had map posters all over my house. Living room, kitchen, bedroom, even in the bathroom for cripes sake. Oh but don't take my love for maps as some kind of subconscious need to travel the world. I have no desire to do so. There is probably only two countries I would visit. Japan being at the top and I wouldn't mind visiting our up north neighbors, Canada. 
I've never had a passport due to the fact that I really never had the traveling bug. I think the first time I was even interested in traveling came when my aunt and uncle took their first Japan trip. Her pictures and stories she brought back was amazing. And until recently, I found all the wonderful travel goodness YouTube has to offer. There is so much content and as I watch and listen to these normal people, it makes me want to experience it even more. 
Alright, now the next "maps" I'm gonna talk about is google maps. Satellite view, what the heck! I mean aside from the fact that satellite abilities are insane, I'm always blown the frick away by these views. Zoom in all the way is how I like to do it. It's so amazing how small these towns are compared to the surrounding landscape. Like a tiny speck on the map until you zoom in. Ok enough with these maps... But see, awesome right!
Floor plans!!! Technically it IS a map. Weird thing I do, if I'm passing a housing complex that looks really cool from the outside, I'll google it and check out the floor plans. Usually I do this with apartment complexes. I initially started to do this when I was living alone and looking for my next apartment. And I found I did enjoy just looking even with no intention of inquiring. I never took it to the next step and actually went to take a open house tour just to look out of curiosity of how they look like inside, that would be too insane. I think it eventually came down to the fact that I'd feel bad for wasting someone's time, taking me around and showing me an apartment even though I had no intention of renting. But anyways..
Ok so now that I'm really thinking about it, I think this is where my love of maps originated from. At the beginning of Lord of the Rings books and throughout the chapters they would have maps of where the reading would take you. As you read they would be explaining these places and the maps were there for you to know where they were traveling. I loved it. Aside from the fact that fantasy books take you to a whole new world, having a map for you visually see where the heroes in your stories were going, just took imaginations to a different level, for me anyways. And I appreciated that from these books. When I finally did buy a wall poster map, I'd have it on the wall by my couch and as I'd watch the movies at home, I could look at the map. Weirdo I know, but I enjoyed it.
Everyone uses maps... GPS on your phone, or attached to your car. I'm sure a lot of people take that feature for granted. Can they navigate a town without it? Can you ever imagine a time when there was nothing to guide you to your destination. You actually had to know where the frick you were going or be willing to get lost trying to get there. Ahh fun times. 
Oh cripes! how did I forgot about google street views! Yes it's not a map per-say but it's a way to explore, and technically to get to it you need to access the google maps. I love street view especially when I want to go exploring other countries. My favorite is taking a drive around Japan streets. Other countries, understandably, do not have this feature as wide spread as the US but I still enjoy the roads that I can take a tour down. 

Alright and finally, this last pic was just something that I wanted to share. I knew that there are seaweed farms in Japan but I never actually thought you can see them from a satellite view.  This is off the southeast coast of Okinawa. Ok and I'ma be honest, I'm not 100% sure these were seaweed farms, but they were squares and hell just give this one to me ok. I was excited to see this. This is kind of rather messy farms now that I think about it. I think they are a bit more uniformed normally. 
But anyways... So along with my plan to learn more about the geography of the world, I would really like to learn about different countries in itself, starting with the different divisions countries have. For example like the US have states, Japan has prefectures, Canada has provinces, Italy has regions, etc. It's just way to much friggen countries, so lets just start with those 3 and see how fast I get ADD and decide to take on something new. 
Ok... ok bye!