Thursday, July 17, 2014

Self Deprecating vs Self Loathing

Big difference....

Self-Deprecating
modest about or critical of oneself, especially humorously so.

Self-Loathing
refers to an extreme dislike or hatred of oneself, or being angry at or even prejudice against oneself.

Yes they both sound very negative if you are not familiar with each definition. Hence the word "self" at the beginning of both, they describe the way you feel about yourself. 
Self deprecation can be annoying, but it is harmless. I use it to make myself feel better about the way I feel, act, or look. If I can point out the reasons I do the things that I do, or the terrible way I look before anyone else can... I am satisfied. In my opinion, the self deprecating people don't do it for pity, they don't do it to hear people try to contradict them. We do it to make light of our view of ourselves. We point out whats wrong and for the most part laugh it off. To be critical of oneself yet have the humor that goes along with it to make jokes about it and when someone laughs, you laugh along with them. You just beat them to the punch. Most self deprecating comments are light-hearted. They are not damaging. They are not intended to derive pity from the ones that we choose to share things with. It's pointing out the things I'm ashamed about, but I'm not fishing for someone to come along and tell me otherwise. But when they do, it is appreciated, and I giggle and say thank you...haha... see I just laughed right there :-P

Self Loathing on the other hand... I don't think I've ever fell into this category. No matter how much I disliked the things I've done in the past or the person I was, I never thought of myself as self loathing. I didn't hate myself THAT much I guess. I knew some people that were self loathing. To be around them was depressing. Constantly putting themselves down in a extremely negative way, allowing no room for someone to even make an attempt at trying to snap them out of it. When hatred and self pity pours out it's hard to be around someone like that. People give up on you and you're left being alone. Which is what you don't want in the first place. Friends can handle so much, before you make them feel like all their attempts to help you and show you your worth and what you mean to them comes to an end.  And when you feel abandoned by your friends and family, drastic steps comes flooding through your head.
Maybe I'm oblivious to it now because I try to see the positive in everything as of late, but I know not one self loathing person. Which is the way I like it.
Wait my sister is kinda getting me worried...
Mish!!! I'm fuckin kidding!