Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Home... *sadface*

When you're growing up in a town that is so far away from the nearest normal teenager amenity you wish for big things to be built closer. When talks came of plans to build a mall and movie theater I was jazzed about it. What the heck did I know. Although I lived by beaches and parks; malls and movies were my vice.
"Keep the Country COUNTRY" was not a motto or petition I cared about. It's sad when I think about it now because growing up and not fully appreciating the land you are raised on is disheartening. You don't take notice until your brain grows a hand and slaps you in the face. My brain grew that hand... not really, that would be freaky. Anywhooooos....
Because of the beaches and surf North Shore of Oahu always got attention by tourists. Traffic going in and out of the town was always backed up to the point where they built a bypass because residents were always in traffic just going home. After the bypass was built local businesses started to feel the impact. Being a resident, I loved that bypass. Home town was quiet, less douchey tourists around town and I wasn't a business owner so I could have cared less. You notice the most change in country areas. The once quiet towns now tourist riddled. Lets say if more touristy stores were built in downtown, no one notices of course cuz that's their norm. But since then, I don't know actual statistics, but I feel like Hale'iwa businesses has gotten exactly what they wanted. More stores popped up and the Tourists came back.
I went back home 2 years ago. I know I've spoke about this before, but it does sadden me still. My home town was unrecognizable to put it harshly. I came back to Kam highway between Weed Junction and Rainbow Bridge pretty much looking like the Vegas Strip (ok maybe not that bad). Tourists walking where ever the fuck they want to. Cars driving? they don't care, they'll just walk across the street. People walking around tipsy and obnoxiously loud with drinks in their hands. OK maybe I'm exaggerating, and it was just some non-alcoholic frilly drink, but they sure as shit acted like their cups were filed with some kind of booze.
My mindset and situation when I went back wasn't the best to begin with, so I'm sure that pretty much clouded my view of trying to enjoy the time I got to spend with family in my home town. I can bet anyone that lived on the North Shore, moved away then recently went back for a visit was devastated with what they went back to see. Dramatic you say?... maybe, but I grew up there in the 80's. I know how much changes that side of the island went through.
Yeah, some will say, but you moved away from home. You moved to Vegas, you have no say in anything. I left home because I followed a guy. If I didn't, I would have never left home I would have stayed in my comfort zone. When you think of Vegas you always think of the Strip right? clubs, partying, gambling. Tourists galore. I live in a quiet neighborhood. Normal, like living in town back home, (not my country hometown tho). As easy as it is to go down to the Strip, I don't. I keep to myself. Does my living now have a lot to do with the way I was brought up? I think it does. You come from relaxed, laid back country town and when you're brought up by a no drama family it tends to rub off on the next generations. But that's just me and how I feel about that.

*My mom is very adventurous and an amazing photographer. She goes around the island and takes awesome pictures. These were all taken by my Mom.