Monday, April 27, 2015

The Good Hearted

If you saw a car on the side of a dark deserted road with the hazard lights flashing and or someone trying to wave down help, would you stop? Would it make a difference if it was day time? Would it make a difference if the stranded was male or female? I hate that my answer to that first question was "No". I wouldn't stop, I would fear for my own safety. Makes me feel selfish and uncaring. Who's to blame for the way I answered?  Myself and being selfish? Things I've see with my own eyes? the news? Movies? Media influences a lot of how we see others. So badly to the point that we ourselves overlook the sheer innocence in someone actually in need. You see so much ugliness, hate, and violence in the news you can't help but build up a guard around yourself against anyone and everyone.
Sadly you slip up one time and it could cost you your life or if not that extreme then some kind of long term psychological damage. You always tell yourself that you would like to do more that doesn't physically reward you for doing a good deed but just getting satisfaction that you made a difference in someone's life. Doing something for someone else just because it was the right thing to do. In all honesty it doesn't go unrewarded. Depends on how you define being rewarded. To fill your heart with knowing that you did something good for someone else is a reward on it's own.
The world is filled with caring people. People that choose to be Doctors, Firefighters, Police Officers, etc. Although I haven't lost all faith in humanity it is waning thin. You watch the violence in the news but then you see heart touching wonderful acts carried out by people and it puts the hope right back in there. But wishing that everyone around you has good intentions is just kidding yourself.
I do understand why everyone is always concerned when I choose to catch the bus in the wee hours of the morning or late at night. Is it my comfort and trust level of the people around me that I will never stop attempting to do things by myself? Or just plain ole stupidity? No matter how much I think I can take care of myself if something terrible does happen, We all know in majority of the situations that you see happen to people, I will be gravely wrong. But I don't carry a purse. And what I do carry in my backpack will at least give me a fighting chance. See right there! How sad that in this day and age that is considered smart. To need to "protect" yourself against other human beings.